UH6F Construction.

10f 12t4 15s

This is a craft that I am building for my oldest daughter. It is a 6' x 3' foam craft with a 1/8" plywood skin. The engine that will power this craft is a 5.5hp Tecumseh and will be turning a 24" 4 bladed fan.

This picture is a fine example of a UH6F. It has been altered with the addition of the seat and the handle bars.

Started construction on the craft. Here is a picture of my big and little helpers. My Dad came to visit so I put him to work building a hovercraft. Had to really twist his arm.

The last picture is of the vacuum bag. The vacuum pump was able to max out the bathroom scale inside the bag. The scale stopped at 300 pounds. There is an H-valve where the vauum line goes into the the bag. On the H-valve, is a relief valve. This was used to control a leak into the bag which adjusted the vacuum. I was able to back the vacuum down so the scale was reading 290 pounds. Then the vacuum bag was allowed to run overnight. I did try the shop vac, but it would only draw a vacuum which resulted in a 140 pounds on the scale. The vacuum pump pulled a much deeper vacuum, and was a lot quieter.

August 21, 2006 - It has been a long time since I have updated the website. It has been a long time since I have worked on the 6F. I need to get this craft finished while my oldest is still little enough to enjoy it!

This set of pictures is from the prop duct. The lip is formed and glassed. The duct has been angle cut for a 22 degree slant. And the duct is being glued to the hull. The bottom of the hull has been glassed and the engine support struts have been cut to shape.

August 22, 2006 - Added the engine supports. I integrated a grab handle on the rear of the engine support. This is not on the plans but it should come in useful.

September 5, 2006 - Time to cut the lift fan. I dusted off the prop duplicator that I made while living in Texas. This was my first chance to use the duplicator. I was not pleased with the results. There were too many deep gouges in the prop. It looks like the stylus was not mounted rigid enough and resulted in some variability in the router cutter head. This will need to be addressed later. I did not like the results of the dupliacted prop so I decided to cut another one by hand. It took 1.5 hours to go from the blank in the first picture to the fully shaped fan in the 3rd picture. That is about the same amount of time it took to run the duplicator.

The last picture shows the fan in the fan duct. Howard Boyle said that he had a rough time putting the fan in the duct of his 6F and I believe him. There is not a lot of extra room, but it does fit in the duct.

May 5, 2007 - The 6F flies!

Here is a video (WMV) of the 6F going for her first hover.